Yeap, data and stuff
March 25th, 2010Visualisation
Spotted: March 8th – March 25th:
- Main : Stefanie Posavec – Take a quick look over the site of Stefanie Posavec, some interesting pieces of work are present. Including her cover for the new OK GO album.
- LukeW | Web App Masters: Design Lessons from 350 Million – An interesting set of points that Facebook have learnt from over time, with applicable transfer to other peoples sites, including Kitecrowd.
- London – South of the River Tube Stations – What if most the tube stations were in south london? This is a nice simple visualisation.
- Foursquare Introduces New Tools for Businesses – Bits Blog – NYTimes.com – Foursquare, the location app are rolling out new features to businesses, who will be able to see a range of real-time data about Foursquare usage.
- Google – Public Data – The Google Public Data Explorer makes large datasets easy to explore, visualize and communicate. As the charts and maps animate over time, the changes in the world become easier to understand. You don't have to be a data expert to navigate between different views, make your own comparisons, and share your findings.
March 5th, 2010Visualisation
Spotted: February 24th – March 5th:
- LastHistory » Visualizing Last.fm Listening Histories and Personal Streams – LastHistory allows you to analyze music listening histories from Last.fm through an interactive visualization and to explore your own past by combining the music you listened to with your own photos and calendar entries.
- BBC – BBC Internet Blog: A new global visual language for the BBC’s digital services – An interesting look into the way the BBC deal with their Digital branding and site development, to keep everything looking similiar.
- Foodspotting / SXSX 2010 FREE Food Noms! – Tastespotting are publishing a list of places to find free food suring SXSW – checkout their twitter @sxswfreenoms
- Guardian graphics visualising BBC spending – With all the furore over potential BBC spending cuts, just how much does the 6 Music, and Asian Network radio station really cost – and how much is that of the BBC budget. Just take a look at this simple, but insightful visualisation
- The State of the Internet – JESS3 – The State of the Internet, a video by JESS3 – showing the facts about the online world of the internet
- Information is beautiful: The BBC-O-Gram – An infographic showing the BBC, in all it's disparate ways – and where the money goes. Another good display by the team at The Guardian
- Information is beautiful: 30 examples of creative infography – This is a beautiful set showing how creative an infographic can be, pretty inspiring.
- http://infochimps.org/ – Looking for a dataset, take a look at one of the widest collections of the worlds datasets.
- Oracle 10G – SQL for Modeling – Now it starts getting a bit more complex, I'll write a dummies guide approach. But basically, you are able to 'model' the output of your data, based on a predefined set of rules.
- Oracle 10G – SQL for Analysis and Reporting – Oracle® Database Data Warehousing Guide – SQL For Analysis and Reporting.
So we are all aware of the plain, Select, From, Where etc. But how about the advanced analytics. Worth a read through, to extend those SQL Skills